Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting & Finance) (BAF)
Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting and Finance is an undergraduate degree programme
which was introduced by the University of Mumbai in the year 2003-04. It is a 3-year self-financing degree course spread across six semesters i.e. two semesters a year, focusing on the domains of Accounting and Finance. It also provides opportunities to gain a broader insight into the financial aspects of Business and Management. The objective of introducing this programme was to enable self-employment and provide skilled professionals in the field of Accounting & Finance to organisations. The programme acts as a great foundation builder for a career based on Accounting and Finance with an array of accounts and finance related courses in addition to general Management courses. The list of courses includes Financial
Accounting, Auditing, Taxation, Management Accounting, Business Law, Business Communication etc… Final semester has an undergraduate research component for practical exposure and professional touch.
A candidate for being eligible for admission to the Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting & Finance) degree programme shall have passed XII std. Examination of the Maharashtra Board of Higher Secondary Education or its equivalent and secured not less than 45% marks in aggregate at first attempt (40% in case of reserved category).
Career Options and Job Prospects
Students usually opt for B.Com ( Accounting and Finance BAF) as the course content is in-depth about both, accounting and finance. This is a common choice of students who wish to fit in themselves in the job market different from the large group of B. Com degree holders as it facilitates expertise in two vital areas with specific skill sets to work in the Finance and Accounting departments of companies with an added advantage of opening up a variety of opportunities related to general Management too.
A graduate in B.Com Accounting and finance can be considered for popular job profiles like
- Marketing Executive.
- Business Development Executive.
- Sales Executive.
- Human Resource Manager.
- Market Research Analyst.
- Chartered Accountant. …
- Financial Risk Analyst. …
- Business Owner. …
- Forensic Accountant. …
- Stock Broker. …
There are various avenues available with this popular degree programme for further Post graduate studies too.
5.Other competitive exams.
A graduate in BAF can choose from the following higher education programmes and career options:
- Master of Commerce/ M.Com in Accounting and Finance – 2 years.
- Master of Business Administration/ MBA in Finance (MBA- Finance): (Preferably finance, if interested) – 2 years.
- Master of Commerce in Accounting and Auditing – 2 years.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Accounting & Auditing – 1 year.
- PG Diploma courses (Related to Banking) -1 year
- Chartered Accountancy (CA): …
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA): …
- Company Secretary (CS): …
- Financial Risk Manager Program (FRM): …
Why DBC ?
- Three years of life at Don Bosco brings a sea of changes in students’ character.
- A degree from Don Bosco college with additional certificate/s in capacity enrichment courses polishes a candidate to handle his/her career and also their life differently.
- A graduate from Don Bosco College is not only just someone with good management, accounting and finance skills but also an expert in human relations and communication.
- Class room activities enable them to gain good communication skills, interpersonal Skills & Team Handling.
- They learn to demonstrate timeliness, responsiveness and adherence to deadlines.
- They become adaptable and flexible, gain ability to perform under pressure, ability to work well in a team and process-oriented.
- They are taught to have exceptional integrity as industry may require them to oversee financial records, and they develop strong communication skills to present detailed information in a manner that’s easy to understand. They gain knowledge in statutory compliance such as TDS and GST.
- They are groomed in a disciplined environment; The team events polish them to work in future with business leaders in small companies or with managers in large corporations to ensure the quality of their job.
- to be capable of collaborating with individual team leaders.
- There are a number of innovative extramural and extra curricular events during the course of study that gives a great exposure for ‘Team building’.
- The campus experience enables them to become a wholesome professional. Activities and events happening through out the year brings out innate abilities in them.
- They are fine tuned to handle responsibilities which can be quite extensive. They learn to coordinate with various accounts and other personnel and other interdepartmental / intergroup personnel for relevant activities. They will be well versed with basic statistics and terms involved in the day-to-day business and use it while discussing with stakeholders. They will be an individual contributor as a part of a team with a predetermined focused scope of work and work closely with project members to effectively deliver on the requirements.
- During the course of study, students are also guided to do internship in the stream of their interest to gain knowledge and expertise.
They are sharpened to demonstrate
- Excellent organizing abilities
- Great attention to detail
- Good with numbers and figures and an analytical acumen
- Good understanding of accounting and financial reporting principles and practices
- Knowledge of MS Office and familiarity with relevant computer software
- On enrolling in the capacity enrichment add on courses offered parallelly with the degree programme, a candidate can have Hands-on experience with accounting software, conversant with Tally ERP, and MS Excel(advanced), conversant with GST & TDS accounting procedures and an exposure to understand Taxation portals of the Income Tax Department
The areas where our graduates’ expertise lies in a nutshell
Excellency in communication
Critical thinking and problem solving skill
Ability to accept failures
Discipline in work
Understanding of every matter
Interpersonal and organizational skill
Details on course structure
Outcome based Education
Higher Education is embedded with certain pecuniary benefits. Graduation helps to strengthen one’s abilities for widening current knowledge base and skills. A graduate acquires attributes and core competencies like self directed learning, multi cultural competence, leadership readiness/qualities, better understanding capability, moral/ethical awareness/ reasoning , communication and presentation skills and life long learning. UGC insists on introduction of Learning Outcome based education in Indian universities and colleges. A Bachelor degree programme is awarded on the basis of demonstrated achievements of outcomes (expressed in terms of knowledge, understandings, skills attitudes and values.) These Learning Outcomes when explicitly specified at the introduction of a programme articulate essential learnings associated with a programme of study (programme outcomes) and specify what a graduate completing a particular programme of study is expected to know, understand and be able to do at the end of their programmes of study. (Programme Specific Outcomes)
NEP 2020 mandates Universities to plan, develop, design, deliver and review their curriculum with specified learning outcomes which act as referral points that would formulate graduate attributes. Program Outcomes are attained by learners through the essential learnings acquired on completion of selected courses (papers / subjects) of study within a programme; it examines what a program or process is to do, achieve, or accomplish for its own improvement and/or in support of institutional or divisional goals.
Program Outcomes of B.Com
It is a 3-year self-financing degree course spread across six semesters i.e. two semesters a year, designed to provide students with a wide range of managerial skills and understanding about streams focusing on the domains of Accounting and Finance. It also provides opportunities to gain a broader insight into the financial aspects of Business and Management.
it gives strong foundation in accounting. It is for the one who have planned their career and they know where their career want to be. The course helps aspirants to acquire knowledge in the field of accounting, taxation, auditing, risk management, financial accounting, taxation, managerial economics, business law, and business communications.
The scope of BAF is very broad and comprehensive. It ranges across different fields and can be an incredible beginning stage for a person with goals of turning into a CXO level officer
PO1: This programme is designed for the students to specialize in the field of accounting & finance.
PO2: This course emphasizes on managing accountancy and financial part of business.
PO3: It promotes students to become professionals / managers / entrepreneurs / accountants.
Programme specific outcome
PSO1: It enables students to understand fundamentals of accounting, taxation, costing, financial management, auditing, management accounting etc.
PSO2: It motivates students to do research work in the field of finance.
PSO3: It motivates students to pursue higher studies like Chartered Accountancy, Cost Accountancy, MBA in Finance, Company Secretary, M.Com in Accountancy, ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) etc.
PSO4: It enhances students communication skills, social skills, computer skills as well. This programme also updates students with business & corporate laws and business economics.